Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 in 2012: Sandy Relief Challenge - Day 49 - Merry Christmas!

Miles to run as of beginning of Christmas Day: 37.61

Miles run on 12/25: 5.0

I hope everyone had a very, merry Christmas. Mine was nice and started off with breakfast and gift exchange with my mom and brother. Full disclosure: Christmas breakfast consisted entirely of cookies. And maybe a piece of pan dulce. I don't really know because I stopped keeping track pretty much before the day started.

I started my run late in the afternoon, after Christmas lunch (mmm...tamales) and took the loop I usually run around my grandparents' neighborhood. After a couple miles, a small to medium sized dog ran up to me. I looked around to see if his owner was anywhere nearby, but didn't see anyone and continued on, thinking he would run off.

He didn't! He kept running with me for another 2.5 miles and I noticed that his foot was cut up and bleeding. Since it was supposed to freeze that night, my grandfather said it was okay for him to stay in the garage until we took him to Animal Care Services the next day. We found out that he had been adopted on the 22nd and, after several escape attempts, the new owners must have simply taken his collar off and let him go, rather than bringing him back to the shelter. The animal shelter said they'd investigate. Hopefully they'll ban them from adopting again, at the very least.

I really hope he's already found a home because he was a sweet boy. If you live in the San Antonio area and are looking for a dog, send me an email so you can go rescue this guy.

His name is Buster
Miles to run as of beginning of 12/26: 32.61

Fundraising link!

http://www.crowdrise.com/2012in2012forSandyRelief/

No comments:

Post a Comment