Monday, December 10, 2012

2012 in 2012: Sandy Relief Challenge - Day 26 + A RACE REPORT OMGWTFHOORAY


Miles to run as of Sunday, 12/2: 178.85

Miles run on 12/2: 8

This day's running consisted of some warming up and a race. I did the Join the Voices 5 mile run in Central Park and ended up setting a new pace PR (and 5 mile PR, though I track that less enthusiastically). I ran 5 miles in 39:35, which worked out to 7:55 minutes per mile.

I've decided to just lump race reports in. If I don't do them as part of this project, I fear I never will and they will end up in my queue-of-things-I-hope-to-write-one-day-but-may-never-get-around-to-writing. My qotihtwodbmngatw, if you will.

The race started at 8:30, and I diligently checked the race website the night before to make sure my bib would be available (please see my Gridiron Challenge race report). It was, so I headed out of my apartment by 7 so that I would get my bib by 7:45 or 8 when the website noted was cutoff time (I know from experience that cutoff time is slightly later, but I've been trying to make smarter race decisions recently and so opted to adhere to rules). I wore my Team New Skin uniform over tights and a long-sleeved Nike shirt to keep warm.


Miraculously, I ended up right where I was supposed to be, bib pinned and bag checked with a full half hour to go before the race started. I thought this would be the perfect time to get a warmup/miles booster run in so I ran from the 72nd Street Transvers and up the east side of the park to the Engineer's Gate and turned around. This is where my smart decision-making streak came to an end. I did not leave myself enough time to get back to the start before the corrals closed. This meant that I had to start waaaaay in the back and pass what seemed like five thousand million people. In reality, though, it probably was at least a thousand.

I knew I was going fast from the get-go and my goal for this race was to achieve a sub-8 minute per mile pace. So, mission accomplished. I also saw my friend Jared just before the finish line and we sprinted it out to the end. I must have really pushed hard there because I was even feeling slightly nauseous for a few seconds after we finished. That never happens.

This is my kicking ass and taking names face
It was a cold trip home. I probably should have done more running so I could further close the gap, but I usually rebel against further running after doing well in a race.

Miles to run as of beginning of Monday, 12/3: 170.85

Fundraising link!

No comments:

Post a Comment