Thursday, November 8, 2012

Now With Purpose: 2012 in 2012 for Sandy Relief + Resources

As you may have read previously, I've spent the year trying to run 2012 miles in 2012. It began as a simple goal, but has now gained real purpose for me. Recovery from Superstorm Sandy is going to take time, energy and resources.

I've therefore decided to finish my goal and dedicate it to helping raise funds and awareness for recovery. I created a CrowdRise fundraiser, which you can find here:

http://www.crowdrise.com/2012in2012forsandyrelief/fundraiser/kathrynescoto

My goal is to raise $1000.00 between now and December 31st. I've got the first $250 covered, but I'll need help with the rest.

More Resources:

Over the last few days, I've had a few people ask me how to help. Here are some ways to do that (now augmented by this challenge):

1. Help me raise the last $750 by donating to the challenge through CrowdRise. The money is going to the Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City. Here's a description of its recovery efforts:

"One hundred percent of donations are being dispersed to relief efforts and organizations. The City is currently identifying immediate aid needs, including food, water and hygiene supplies, as well as long-term relief and restoration efforts."

2. Join my team! Fundraise or just run with me! By the time the new year rolls around, you'll be all warmed up to tackle your resolutions.

3. If you'd rather, give to a different organization like the Red Cross

4. Donate your time. Believe me, someone somewhere needs your help. For info on opportunities, like the New York Runners in Support of Staten Island and Sandy Volunteer Opportunities Facebook pages. You can also register with New York Cares, which posts Sandy projects frequently. I also mentioned the Bowery Mission, which is a shelter on the Lower East Side. Here's a list of their current needs.

As much as I tend to disagree with OWS, they are organizing and executing some great work out in Brooklyn. Text @occupysandy to 23559 for those updates.

I'm certain there are many more opportunities out there, but this is a good start. I'll keep you updated with my Sandy Relief Challenge progress here.

It's not lost on me that this activism is mostly new, on my part. As I mentioned in my previous post, this served as my wakeup call. For now, I'll be focusing on Sandy Relief, but you better believe I'll be looking for ways to contribute after relief efforts have been completed.

Runners helping out in Staten Island

No comments:

Post a Comment