Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Merry- Just Kidding

I am finally back in NYC. On Sunday I smugly watched the television at my grandparents' house as the blizzard unleashed its wrath upon New York. I thought I had escaped. I was wrong. 1 plane, 4 trains, and an automobile later, I am back.

And after the holidays, I have a lot of work to do. I haven't eaten so many cookies since, well, last Christmas. I'm planning to get up early and go for a swim. Seems like an odd work out for the end of December, doesn't it? As it happens, there's an indoor triathlon taking place on January 9th. While I plan on participating, I'm also painfully aware of the fact that I haven't been swimming in months. Months! It's a good thing the swimming portion only lasts 10 minutes.

You might also be wondering how an indoor triathlon works. Here's the deal: each athlete is allotted a certain amount of time for each segment (swim, bike, run). The race organizers then use a formula to calculate each racer's score. For more info on the scoring system, check this out. Transitions are not counted. This particular race format is 10 minutes of swimming, 30 minutes of biking, and 20 minutes of running. I've never done one of these, but I think it will be educational, if nothing else. The amount of time spent running is pretty short, so I'm hoping the speedwork I've been doing with Jared will have some impact. On the other hand, it might be hard to tell since I haven't done a brick (bike/run) workout in months either.

I'm off. Need to be up early!

No comments:

Post a Comment