Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sprinting to Christmas

Hopefully you're not tired of the Christmasy posts. I know some people grow weary of the season, but I'm not one of them. I plan on enjoying it for the next four days, so bear with me if I crank out a few more. New York remains mostly snowless, but beautiful nonetheless. If you live here in the city and haven't seen Columbus Circle, it's something you need to do ASAP. In terms of being breathtaking, I think it's second only to the tree at Rockefeller Center. I fully expect that you've witnessed the lights in all their glory while running through or by Central Park if you're a runner. Columbus Circle is one of the closest subway stops to my home so I'm fortunate enough to be able to see it on the regular.

Image borrowed from the theweblicist


Right. Down to business. First, a recap of yesterday's workout. It was a combo of circuits, strength training which mostly focused on the legs, and sprintwork. The circuit consisted of:

5 pull-up jumps (unassisted, thank you)
10 push-ups
15 squats
20 walking lunges
400 meter sprint

Jared put 20 minutes on the timer and our goal was to do as many circuits as possible in that time. We managed 5. I did my sprint at an 8.5-9.0mph pace. The pull-up jumps went well and I'm hoping to achieve my goal of doing a full unassisted pull-up by March. After the circuit exercise we did leg strength stuff. Finally we went into sprints. This consisted of each of us doing 20 seconds of sprinting, at which point one would slow to a jog and the other would begin their 20 seconds. I did these sprints a little faster (9.5-10mph) because the time was shorter. We did 2 10-minute segments of this with a half mile between each segment and a final hard sprint at the end.It was a really good workout. I always enjoy sprints and am really hoping they pay off for my races coming up in the new year.

Due to a combination of last minute Christmas shopping and a cold, I didn't do anything today. Fortunately, though, we have a 6am scheduled for tomorrow. I guess that means I should go to bed. Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment