Friday, May 10, 2019

Surgery Recovery 2: The Self-Socking

As you may have guessed, I learned how to sock my own foot! Just in time too, because I stopped working from home this week after going for my follow up last Friday. After that, I was able to do the following things:
  • Take off the brace during showers
  • Take off the brace while sleeping (though I haven't been doing that)
  • Work from work
  • Schedule a physical therapy appointment
Getting around New York City in crutches is annoying, which is why I was dismayed to hear that I might have to do it for another 2-4 weeks. Fortunately at my PT appointment today, I was told I can stop using one crutch now and hopefully take off the brace next week if all goes well. Apparently my range of motion and strength are good. Things I have learned in phase 2:
  • Sitting for too long at a desk is a little painful, but being able to alternate with standing is very helpful.
  • I've been using an overturned trash can to elevate my leg while sitting at my desk.
  • My left leg is much sadder and smaller than my right. Who knew muscles could atrophy so quickly?
The thing I was not able to solve for a lot of the week was how to bring coffee back to my desk with 2 crutches. I came up with 2 solutions: I got a clampable cupholder for my crutch and also started using only one crutch before getting official instruction to do that (oopsie). 

I also took my first longish subway ride without sitting. Surprisingly, the most uncomfortable thing about it was my right leg getting tired of supporting all my weight.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment