Thursday, May 2, 2019

Lessons Learned

I spent 2012 running 2012 miles and training for an Ironman, which left me in the best shape of my life. Sometime in the spring of that year I remember doing my favorite speed workout (half mile intervals) on a treadmill at New York Health & Racquet Club. The usual structure of this workout was a half mile warmup at 10 minutes/mile which led directly into a half-mile sprint at a 7-730 min/mile pace and then alternated with quarter miles at 10 minutes/mile. I tried to repeat this 5-7 times.

Looking back, I now acknowledge that this was a pretty intense workout. It should have come as no surprise, then, when on this particular evening I felt a pop in my hamstring and immediate pain after. I stopped the treadmill for a bit and tried walking, and then stopping it to figure out what might have happened. I even had my friend Jared, who was a personal trainer there at the time, stretch me out (in retrospect, ouch and why).

Taking care of things like this properly is something I've only started learning in the last year or so. If it had happened today, I would have immediately made a doctor's appointment and gotten it checked out. Alas, my solution in 2013 was to KEEP ON RUNNING, BUT SLOWER. This is dumb and I urge you all to take better care of your injuries.

Fast forward to the beginning of 2019. Between 2013 and 2019, my hamstring has continued to hurt at various levels of intensity but the general trend has been that it's increasingly difficult to run at any speed that feels remotely fast. Since January, I'd actually done a great job of getting better about running regularly and devising systems and strategies that made it easier. I signed up to play rec basketball on Saturday mornings, began Citibiking to Mile High Run Club on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, and resuming somewhat regular weekend long runs.

But my old hamstring was having none of it, and flared up in a serious way after the 10k track relay in February. During a basketball game about a month ago, I fell and again felt a popping sensation, and felt immediately like it might be something serious.

A few doctor's appointments and some tests later, I learned I had a complete 3-tendon tear of my hamstring and I was going to need surgery! So that's what I've been up to the last two weeks. I plan to follow up with more thoughts, tips, and tricks that I've learned about hamstring surgery but we'll see!

This sounded...not good

No comments:

Post a Comment