Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Streak Rolls On

Alright, so it's really not that big a deal because it's only the second day. Still, it was a busy day and, had I not started this whole streak thing, I may not have worked out because of it. The situps were easy. I can do those in front of the TV. I will say that my buttbone was pretty sore from doing them yesterday and I wanted to set up some sort of cushion but couldn't figure out how. I guess that'll be a project for another day.

The run was the interesting part. I was pressed for time so ended up doing some city running. City running is great when you have no particular destination in mind and a block of time to while away. You run in one direction until you hit a red light, at which point you begin running in the direction of the green light. Sound arbitrary? It is. It's part of what makes it fun, though. That and dodging the crowds and vaulting over small dogs and, in today's case, avoiding ice patches. It didn't work out as well as I'd hoped because I had to be back by a certain time and so had to set a definite route. I started in midtown west, ran east to Madison, north to Central Park, then south again to return to the starting point. Since I was sticking to this route, I had to stop for red lights. The loop was about a mile and a half and I completed it in 15 minutes. That averages out to a 10 minute mile, but it was the result of sprinting between red lights and having to stop for seconds to minutes at a time. But, when all is said and done, my streak has survived another day.

2 comments:

  1. HBG, anything helps for sit-ups. A throw pillow, folded towel...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in NY last weekend (specifically LIC, staying with a friend) and I was freaking out because I couldn't go running because I didn't know the area well enough and was afraid of ice. I'm realizing now that I should've contacted you and made you bring me for a city run.

    ReplyDelete