Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Race Report: JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge

The Corporate Challenge is a race that happens every year in Central Park and involves an obscene number of runners. It takes place over two days and there are around 15,000 participants on each day. Not only that, but it's only divided into four time groups. This might seem like a lot, but to put it in perspective, the New York Road Runners races are often divided into at least 7 different groups for thousands fewer runners. As a result, there are many people who mistakenly start in a group they're either too fast or too slow for.

The group I was placed in this year was I think about in line with the times I've gotten the past few years but slower than the pace I've been running more recently. This was apparent as soon as the race started and I found myself having to jump off the road and onto the grassy side in order to pass people because it was so packed. I also took a shoulder from some obnoxious guy who was running really fast in the opposite direction. I'm not certain, but I feel like that first mile was really fast because I remember thinking I was much more tired than I should have been after the first mile. The remaining ones were slower and my time overall ended up being 29:15 over 3.5 miles, which works out to an 8:25 pace. Not what I wanted it to be, but also not too shabby. I'm really sleepy or else I would write about other things that I have on my mind. Oh well, something for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment