Monday, May 23, 2011

My Moderately Triumphant Return

I haven't taken a break this long since I started writing regularly and I feel terrible! But then, part of the reason why I haven't blogged and why I have been feeling bad is also that my workouts have been really under par recently. The only thing I've really managed to do is keep my streak going, which isn't very hard now that I've gotten used to it. But that's going to have to change here soon because tri season is getting underway!

During my blog hiatus I traveled to sunny Miami. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'd hoped to do a tri there the weekend before last. Alas, it was not to be. I didn't find an affordable way to transport my bike in time. I thought I would just rent a bike there (even though the road bikes were all rented out for an MS 150 race) and sign up but even that didn't work out! I ventured from our hotel to South Beach in search of a bike shop that I'd sought out who rented hybrid bikes. Got there, rented a bike, and, since that was taken care of, figured I should sign up for the tri. Big mistake not doing it sooner. It had sold out not hours beforehand. Once again, I made myself a victim of my complete lack of planning and foresight.

On the bright side, I got to do all my streak runs on the beach. Or at least partially on the beach. When I returned the bike to South Beach, I ran the four-ish miles back to the hotel. It was a nice change of pace and I pulled onto the beach for the last mile of it. One thing about Vibrams that I never really considered was how convenient they are to bring places. They take up hardly any room. The downside is that they need to be washed VERY frequently to avoid offending everyone within a five foot radius with the stench they can produce. Did I learn this the hard way? Yes, yes I did.

But back to the story. Running on the beach is not easy and I was pretty grumbly when I first got into it. I mean, yes, I chose to run on the beach but I don't think one can ever be prepared for how difficult a task it is. I had barely gotten accustomed to it by the time we had to leave! On a two of the days I only did the requisite mile, but one of them I did a whole 5k on the beach. All while being chased by a thunderstorm. It was epic. Between maintaining the streak and riding the bike around Miami Beach for a day, it was actually a much more active vacation than I would have had otherwise. So I guess that's something.

In other news, I'm a proud spokesperson for a recovery beverage called reGen! I'll be posting much more regularly in general, but about this in particular. If any of you are local, train, and are interested in trying this out, let me know! Additionally, if anyone knows how to create ads independent of Google AdSense I would love to know how. Firstly to promote reGen, but secondly because my AdSense account was suspended awhile back (thanks, Google).

Oh, one more thing. I decided to get more active with the whole twitter thing. Up to this point, I'd only set one up for myself. I'm still skeptical of it, but willing to give it a try. My twithandle is cheaptriathlete (obvi).

That's all I have for today. Get ready for a busy summer season!

No comments:

Post a Comment