Wednesday, May 29, 2013

From the Bottom of the Pit

Right to the top.

Now that May is coming to a close and my spate of impulse races is over, it's time for me to start training with purpose again. I have two major events coming up this fall that require immediate attention. The first is my BQ attempt, which I've all but decided will be the Santa Rosa marathon in California at the end of August.

The second is Beach2Battleship, the iron-distance race I signed up for in December. The race takes place in North Carolina at the end of October. One of my goals for this year was to complete Beach2Battleship in under 14 hours.

Don't hold back.

I'm not at all convinced that I can qualify for Boston, and I know that if I have any hope of doing so, it's going to require an unprecedented amount of discipline, planning, and work. Probably some lifestyle adjustments as well, regarding diet and sleep.

Qualifying for Boston  and completeing a 14 hour Ironman are going to be extremely challenging. For the marathon alone, I'll need to maintain my current PR half marathon pace for an additional 13.1 miles. This seems like a daunting prospect and one that I can't allow to intimidate me. Here are some things I'm thinking about in my approach:

Boston Qualifier:
  1. Lots of speedwork including intervals, mile and half mile repeats
  2. Working with a group or coach. Nothing makes me faster than running with faster people.
  3. Eating better.
  4. Drinking less beer
  5. Sleeping more
14-Hour Ironman:

  1. Potential involvement with a masters swim team
  2. Losing my fear of the bike
  3. More morning workouts
  4. The last three of my Boston Qualifier initiatives

I think these will be my largest undertakings since last year's Ironman. I always look forward to a good challenge, but I'd be lying if I said I was confident in my ability to achieve both of these goals. Like every other part of my running/triathlon career, it will be quite a journey.

It's time to begin, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment