Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Marathon Training Begins

Things haven't slowed down a lot since earlier in the summer. Some, but not enough. Unfortunately, my training has been sporadic. If it wasn't for the fact that the streak is still alive and well, I'd probably be having a hard time motivating myself to do anything! It's a good thing marathon season is now upon us because I once again have definite direction to my training and all is right in the world. Now I just need to decide on a plan and tailor it to include triathlon training, as I still have quite a bit of that to do as well.

I think I'm going to do Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 program. One downside, though, is that I don't see any speedwork incorporated. Might be something worth looking into. Otherwise I'll have to work it in myself.

It's getting late and I want to get to bed. Unfortunately, there are still a few things I want to discuss. I'll discuss one of them and leave the rest for later. The first to be left for later is another discussion of my goals. I think now that the year is halfway over, it's time to reexamine. Setting so many was ambitious, particularly in light of the fact that my schedule has been very busy. But I definitely need to clean up the list, mark anything I haven't done, and come up with some sort of plan for the rest.

Another one that will come up later will actually be a really big post that I'll write in mid-August. It's big news, but news that also involves lots of planning and decisions. I want to really think it out and write up something that flows well and is organized.

Finally, a short discussion on the streak, which is still going. I'm at 168 days, quickly approaching half a year. This streak has been all over the place! I started it in NYC, but it's been in Ithaca, Boston, Dallas, Miami, San Antonio, and the Catskill Mountains. It's always a challenge figuring out when and where the streak will fit in, whether I'm here in the city or elsewhere. My family and friends have been such a big part of this because not only do they accept and support it, they often help me figure out how or when is best to do it! So thanks to you all, I'm sure I wouldn't have made it very many days without you.

2 comments:

  1. hey we're starting marathon training at the same time! except you're waaay ahead of me. I feel like I'm starting from scratch. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh. As long as you get the miles in. Because my foot has been bothering me I haven't been keeping up with my program at all.

    ReplyDelete